Saturday, August 9, 2008

Vancouver Week 1 - Stupid Show, Isnt It?

well, i'm in vancouver, bc.  north carolina? get fucked.  actually,  before you do that, please send bojangles, krispy kreme, cheerwine, and sweet tea to vancouver please thank you.  oh, and karibbean, please eat some cheese toast with sugar for me. yummers.  

lets begin with the flight over here.  just a few highlights.

1) nims island isnt as cool as it looks

2) 30 rock is a "stupid show, isnt it?" to drunk 50 year olds with pony tails who sit beside me

3) babies cry

4) drunk 50 year olds with pony tails who sit beside me hate babies that cry

i land. get my student permit from immigration. get my bags. exchange all my stupid green american dollars for super fresh canadian dollars. hop in a cab. 

after about riding in silence for about 6 minutes, i realize that i have a couple voicemails that i need to check cringing  over the roaming charges.  right as i put my phone to my right ear, right being my most premium ear (thanks dr. may), i make eye contact with the cab driver in the rear view mirror.  the second the voicemails start, he decides to make small talk....thinking somehow this little device beside my ear is not a phone but rather an audio translator that allows me to communicate with dumbass cab drivers.  no offense to cab drivers or anything....all im saying is that when you see someone on the phone, even though they have a free ear,  you shouldnt feel obligated to fill that ear with questions that even a high school reunion would be sick of.

I finally make it to my destination.  i cant wait to put my crap in the basement suite of todd and barbs cozy red house.  barb is there to welcome me with some watermelon...juicy, reminds me of darius.  todd is at work so ill have to see his award winning mustache and beard combo later. 10 year old jake is at summer camp.  7 year old breezy is there to awkwardly respond with silence when i say "hey breezy".  ill make sure not to make any zephyr jokes around her.  

i unload everything and im ready for some tasty adventures.  but before that, i wanted to check my mail.  so i go upstairs to ask barb what the internet password is but unfortunately she cant remember the 50 digit chain of numbers and letters so im SOL.  and if you dont know what SOL means then ask my grandpa bowman (moms dad).  well, he is not with this world anymore so ill just tell you.  Shit Out of Luck.  todd knows the password.  todds at work.  mustache, beard, password will all have to come later.  breezy is still looking at me.

i start walking. nothing else to do.  i arrive at broadway which is just a lovely street full of stores, restaurants, and ohhhhh yes! a kid just walked passed me and hes wearing a pirates of the caribbean cape!!!! anyways, focus graham.  broadway is cool. the end.  im walking around and all i want to say is, "dakota?....oh sorry.....masa?...oh sorry....jaime?...oh sorry...haruna?...oh sorry"  but i hold my american tongue because i dont want to be kicked out just yet.  ok next, i find a coffee shop with free internet on broadway about 14 blocks away from BZL2.  masa works there.  goody yay.  i chat away with friends, check emails from crying martha and concerned father, and read delicious news feeds about zach and karibbeans saucy love affair.  apparently scott is cured....hepatitis C YOU LATER!  whens the party?  

after some latte, internets, and the daily attempt from thomas to vid chat (every time while im in a public place) i ask the coffee lady where a good place for me to eat dinner would be.  she pointed me to a place across the street where i sat there and ate a thack on a stack burger and watched soccer.  i tipped the waitress $1 on a $16 bill.  now before you berate me of my foolish or garrett-like act, let me explain.  i was told that canada was like europe where the servers actually get paid hourly (not $2.15 an hour in the states) but actual money that they could use an hour soooo they dont really expect a tip unless they were awesome.  so this miss server lady was just ok, she refilled my drink i guess, so i gave her a dollar which was something extra.  feeling like ive made this girl happy with a little extra in her pocket, i leave and walk down broadway to explore.  

i find another coffee shop to hang out at and read, check emails, and chat with north carolina.  i hang out there till its late and then i walk home.  its weird to say thats my home.  well i guess it will be for 3 years.  holy shit, im living in vancouver, bc!  what the hell am i doing? 

i get home and on the floor is the 50 digit password that todd has slid under the door.  goody yay, i have internet at home now.  i immediately take off my clothes (you know how the BZL works, regardless of what country its in)  and i begin to watch arrested development.  a couple minutes later i hear a knock on the door.  its todd.  i quickly put some clothes on and answer the door.  his mustache and beard looks even more fantastic than i remembered it.  bryan, you gotta lot of work to do.  anywho, todd remembered that i told him that my bed wasnt coming in till the next day so he was kind enough to offer a blow up mattress.  thanks mustache.  

i lay down to sleep only after drying off the sweat from pumping up the mattress with the most bobo pump ever.  monthly workout - check.  im well on my way to becoming not the fattest thing in canada.  

good night day 1.  this air mattress is just plain ol' awful. 

3 comments:

Future Histories said...

SEND ME A CINNAMON ROLL.

ZACH

Martha B. Metzler said...

i wasn't crying, i had something in my eye

Maggie said...

oh my goodness this makes me miss you even more. you are a weirdo and i need that in my life. keep writing.